We often interchange the terms bills and invoices, but in QuickBooks, the terms Bills and Invoices are quite distinguished. This article on QuickBooks Billing Invoices will explain the difference between the two terms and gives a step-by-step process of how to make an invoice in QuickBooks.
What is Bills in QuickBooks?
Bills are received from vendors recording the expenses, costs and/or inventory. The bills also reflect the amount that the owner owes to the vendor. In QuickBooks, there is a payment screen that is related to the bills which shows the payments that are made to the vendors and are recorded accordingly.
Furthermore, on the payment screen, the records of the payments made to the vendor are shown and if there is the deficit of cash after paying the vendor. In case the vendor is paid by credit card then the record on the screen will show the increase in credit card debt on the books.
To pay the bills, the path is Vendors>Pay Bills. When the vendor receives the bills they will use the Enter Bills screen.
What is Invoice in QuickBooks?
Customers are given invoices that record the revenues on the books and the money owed by the customers. For invoices there is a payment screen in which the payments of the customers are recorded, it also shows the list of customers that owe less and those from whom more cash has been acquired.
The invoices can be created in QuickBooks and once the payment is received, on the Payment Received screen, the amount paid can be applied against the invoices of the customer.
QuickBooks Billing Invoices:
One needs to create a customer invoice after a vendor bill has been entered. So, here are the steps that you can follow to make an invoice.
- Open the QuickBooks program and go to the company page on the computer.
- Click on the ‘Create Invoices’ icon, this will open a new page named ‘Invoice’.
- On the box beside the ‘CUSTOMER’ write down the name or if it is a pre-existing customer then add the name from the drop-down icon.
- On the TEMPLATE section write the name of the customer to whom this invoice will be sent.
- Check whether the date and the number of the invoice are correct.
- Under the ‘Item Code’ you can click on the drop-down menu to select the kind of Services for which the invoice is being made.
- Or you can click on ‘Add New’ and a new screen will open. Go to the tab ‘TYPE’ and from the drop down menu select the type.
- In the box under ‘Item Name/Number’ key –in the details.
- Next, go to the ‘Description’ and write the same details you have written under the ‘Item Name/Number’ tab.
- Next, go the ‘Account’ tab and click on the drop-down icon to select from the chart of account.
- If the list does not have the option that you are looking for you can create a new one by clicking on ‘Add New’.
- A new page will open with ‘Add New Account’. In the box beside the ‘Account Name’ enter the name. In the ‘Description’ box to enter the same name that you have entered in ‘Account Name’.
- Then click on ‘Save & Close’
- Click on OK on the ‘New Item’ window.
- It will take you back to the Invoice and under the Amount, column enters the fixed amount of the item.
- If required you can out the price of each item too.
- You can next on the ‘Terms’ tab and decide when you would like to be paid by selecting from the option provided in the drop-down list.
- Next click on ‘Save & New’ if you want to make another invoice or click on ‘Save & Close’ if you do not wish to make more invoices.
- If you wish you can also email the invoice by clicking on the email icon on the top.
- You can check the accounts for invoices that you have created by going to the ‘Records’ tab on the top.
- Click on ‘Records’ and from the drop-down list select ‘Customers & Receivables’ and click on it.
- Next click on ‘A/R Aging Summary’.
- This will open a new page with the invoice details that you have entered.
If you face any issues related to the QuickBooks billing invoices, then you can get in touch with our QuickBooks POS Support any time on 1800-935-0532.